Honey collection trip to SUNDARBANS
Burigoalini, Dobeki forest area
For generations poor fishermen and villagers around Bangladesh’s Sundarbans, the largest mangrove forests in the world, have been collecting wild honey from April to June every year.
The annual honey gathering season brings lots of expectations in the south-west of the country, as it provides people with much needed extra income.
On average, the fishermen earn around $70 to $80 (£42 to £49) each during the season.
They use the extra money to repay their debts or to repair their boats
Honey gathering may sound like a normal rural occupation but here it is perhaps the most dangerous job in the world.
Day 1: Dhaka – Khulna
Take the overnight AC bus for Khulna ,it will take around 8 hours journey ,on the way you will be crossing the mighty Ganges river by ferry boat.
Day 2: Khulna — Burigoalini
Early in the morning start to cruise towards Sundarbans forest, Daylong cruising, in the late afternoon after arrival at Burigoalini then visit Burigoalini forest office area, In the evening come back to the boat dinner and overnight on the boat inside the forest .
Day 3: Burigoalini – Dobeki
Full day activities inside the forest inclusive of honey collection, country boat trip, walk around the Dobaki forest office etc. lunch will be served on boat. Rest of the day follows the honey collectors to see their activities closely. Back to the boat for dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Dobeki – Khulna – Dhaka
After breakfast start cruising back towards Khulna. Day long cruise, Lunch will be served on boat. After Dinner disembark from the boat and overnight drive towards Dhaka by A.C Bus after arrival at Dhaka end of the tour.
PRICE SHALL INCLUDE:
- Accommodation on two bed basis on the boat.
- All meals as per itinerary
- BAR-B-Q dinner on the last night inside the forest.
- Mineral water for drinking during the trip.
- Forest fees & permit.
- Accompanying armed forest guard during the trip.
- All activities inside the forest as per the itinerary.
- A small country boat attached to the mother vessel to make trip inside small creeks/canals.
- An accompanying guide during the trip.
- Drinks both hard and soft. (But you can buy soft drinks from the boat).
- Items of personal nature and items not mentioned above.
- Fees for the video & still camera of the guests